Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Our First Family Christmas

This holiday season we decided to change it up.  With listing the house and having so much going on in real life so to speak we celebrated more by recognizing the Word and guidance of the Lord than anything else.  We only got a 2.5 foot tree and had minimal decorations just so we didn't have to pack up a ton or offend any potential buyers.  While it was weird to not get out all the lights and decor it still turned out to be a wonderful time of celebrating. 

Hubby has been off work since the 23rd so family time has been plentiful.  B seems to really be enjoying his time with Mommy and Daddy.  We decided to do the Christmas celebrations separate this year.  On Friday we went to Hubs Aunts house and made cookies that his Great Grandmother made.  It was fun and low key.  We also did a gift exchange.  I had so much fun picking out their gifts that I was excited and hopeful they would love everything and sure enough they did.  I got spoiled this year from them.  They said it was for the both of us but really it was for me.  I ended up with a Keurig which is something I have wanted for years.  Our Aunt also spoiled me with anything I had mentioned liking in the last few months.  It has been years since opening presents like that and while I don't need it alot it was fun.

On Christmas Eve we went to my parents house.  That is always fun.  The night consists of my family, my sister and her husband and Mom and Step Dad.  We didn't do huge gifts this year as we are moving and so is my sister so my Mom just made sure we were set with a New Years gift pack and moolah.  B on the other hand was in heaven with an anamatronic rocking horse!  The sucker neighs and trots and wags it's tail and even shakes its head.  He will only ride it a little bit but I do believe they are already fast friends.  Of course dinner was amazing and everyone pigged out.  I even got to be entertained by my sister who had a little too much wine.  It has been years since I saw her like that truly brought me back!!

On Christmas morning we opened a few presents for B and then took our time getting ready to head out for dinner at Le Cellier and Candlelight Processional in Epcot.  We decided that this year was the year we did what we wanted to and were not going to worry about pleasing others.  It was well worth it once we finally got into dinner.  The meal was divine and lived up to it's reputation.  Of course the Processional was lovely and something that must be experienced for any Disney lover.  Between the Christmas Story being read by Blaire Underwood and the amazing symphony and singers I was a blubbering mess.  B loved the parts he was awake for and we just enjoyed some very special family time.

The weekend was rounded off on Monday with a quick lunch celebration with Hubs parents and grandparents.  We see them more often so it was a little shorter.  And much of the same drama as always we were happy to just enjoy a short afternoon focused on B and his new toys.

The house was not decorated, the tree not as big as usual, the presents were not as plentiful from me and Hubby but it was by far one of my favorite Christmas's I can think of.  While we did not end up at Church as we did the processional instead it was a holiday truly filled with the Lord and the Lord's voice, presence and celebration.  We had just enough family to remind us we are blessed but not so much that you are pulling your hair out.  It really felt like our first family Christmas!

I can honestly say I will always look back at the holiday season of 2011 with a smile and love but I am really looking forward to the Christmas's to come in our new town, with our new community, church and traditions!!!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas! I love that you are making your own family traditions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous you got to go to the World on Christmas! Sorry you had to wait for dinner though!

    ReplyDelete