Thursday, January 5, 2012

And the Bug Has Passed

It has been one long week.  In the midst of trying to figure out where we were at on our house and the potential ones we may move to not to mention New Years a terrible tummy bug hit our family.  It started with hubby at about 3 am right when I became aware of it I sanitizing! EVERYTHING!

Just as soon as I was finishing the guest bath and hoping that B did not get it I heard some banging in his crib and was relieved that he seemed fine.  Just as I was getting ready to change him the poor baby started throwing up.  Let me tell you no one prepares you for when a toddler gets sick!  I mean with a infant you can control where they are and usually where they aim etc.  But holy cow nothing is as unpredictable as a 1 year old with a tummy bug! 

Poor hubby instantly became 2nd in line for attention and healing but I think he understood, well mostly.  B did pretty well the first day but by day 2 it seemed that it had gotten Daddy worse as hubby was still in bed and B was back to climbing the walls, literally.  It was truly a test of my patience as it seemed hubs was milking it as his son could kick it and deal with it better than me.  Sure enough I was so eating my words on that thought later!  B ended up sick again that night and we thought it was over by sending Dad to the Dr for meds.

Nope!!! B ended up on the third night doing poorly.  It's like it hit again out of nowhere and this time with wrath.  The poor thing could not stop vomiting.  By this time I had left messages for our pediatrician and not heard back thus I had to go with intuition.  Something was just not right.  So to the night pediatric we headed well although there ad said open till 12am well the greeted us with smiles from behind a locked door that happened to say 11pm.  We then headed to our local hospital to be told there would be a 3 hour wait with no pediatric priority.  At this point I am in pj's carrying a 1 year old in only a tshirt and diaper and towel and in tears! Oh how hopeless I felt, no one cared that my little baby was sick.

Finally it occurred to me to head to the local Childrens Hospital and by this time I heard back from my pediatrician that said get to the hospital, DUH! Oh how I can not sing Arnold Palmer Hospital praises enough.  They had him in triage within 10 minutes or so medicated before even being seen by the Dr!  My little guy has been on the mend ever since and you know what I think I got to see a feeling good guy today.

I was so tired from the hospital that New Years Eve was non existent and consisted of hubby kissing me at midnight and me falling back asleep.  By Monday the bug I thought I had outsmarted took me down and Daddy Duty kicked in!

Here we are finally a week later on the other side and besides being proud of myself for cleaning and making it through B and Dad being sick I am proud we did it as a family unit. Sooner than later we will be living a few hours away from family and there was a part of me that was nervous that we can not call them and have them just show up whenever we need them well without a long drive atleast.  But this last week proved we are up to this challenge and ready to do it on our own, for the most part. 

We are ready to make a place our home where our kids will come back to visit one day.  It feels good knowing that we are truly ready for this challenge even if it took a HORRENDOUS stomach bug to remind us!

2 comments:

  1. Oh I do not like toddler throw ups either.. It is VERY difficult! Glad to hear everything is on the mend though and hopefully put away for good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh holy crap, you have had a rough time! A sick baby (two, if you count the husband) is so stressful. So glad you guys made it through.

    ReplyDelete