Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A HisTORI About My Best Friend

With all the ups and downs in life right now I thought I would just enjoy myself and talk about a friend of mine.  Ok really she is not a friend that knows she is a friend but she is totally my friend.

Anyone who knows me knows I can not remember lines in movies, song titles, book names or tag lines.  I don;t know tons of actors names and I am definitely very plain jane when it comes to my interest in any form of entertainment.  But there is one constant that has held up through all forms of media and one woman who has been my friend through life since we were introduced all those years ago.

I am sure you have the same type of friend.  One who has similarities but also differences.  One that makes you giggle, cry and cringe all at the same time.  Many of you may find it in a politician or world famous author or even world leader but me I found it in the mere little zip code of 90210.

Tori Spelling has been one of my best friends throughout life (no need to worry I do not stalk her and she does not know I exist).  I am not going to lie I wavered sometimes to Kelly (ya ya I am referring to their characters, of course I know they are real people) but always returned right back to Donna.

I tried to be like her in character and sometimes looks.  Although my Mom was so not ok with all the sun-in I doused my hair with to try and be blonde!  I copied the white high slouchy socks and found a love for hoop skirts! (only a true fan will understand that one)  Some how she made me feel that being different was ok, lonely yes, but ok. 

She gave me permission to get lost in her world for the years that my parents divorced and money was tight.  She had the boyfriend I would not find till 25.  To this day I can remember all her hair styles and how she even influenced me as a young adult.  I always envied that Donna could pull off red lipstick but I had a hunch it was Tori that loved it and now watching her reality show I see that she can and that she was very much true to her character.

After the 90210 phase I followed my friend to her many Lifetime movies. Oh she was scandalous but none the same she was still Tori.  Sometimes sweet sometimes awkward and just trying to make it. 

As her life filled with drama and rumors I totally faced my own. (No not because I am a billionaire and fighting with my family, don't be silly!)  But at some moments of relocation I found peace in re runs and the familiarity of the girl who had grown to be a role model. 

Throughout our relationship we have had highs and lows I mean TMZ.com did not exist and I was not able to keep up on her as I would have liked.  And I did not have the money to move to CA to force our friendship so I just patiently waited for it to run its course back to what it had always been all those years ago.

And here we are!  I get to visit with her weekly and read her diary's (so what if all of the world has access to them too).  I find such a common thread between her world and mine in her growth and climb up to money and a fancy house and then realizing that it is not what she wants but actually wants a smaller home and land and a lovely family life.

You know that when she is doing the commentary in her show well the secret is out that she is actually talking to me over a glass of wine or better yet margarita!  Some of my favorite times are those I spend in her closet helping her pack, or giggling at the bathroom door as she pees on the stick.  Her experience of  "poo in the puss" as she refers to it even makes me appreciate my little guy during blow outs.

Most recently she truly has helped me over the hump of following a dream and moving to a 2.5 acre property in a smaller town.  And of course her experiences with Liam, Stella and Hattie have given me the confidence that I can totally handle more kids.  (ok so I can try I do know she has help)  And I can totally buy a chicken and pig oh and a goat just because. 

Oh how I am so grateful for her friendship and honesty in my life.  Dean is a little more daring than Hubby but lets just say we are working on that.  I like knowing that her relationships are not perfect and that they do fight, they do bribe each other with sex and they do have brownie points.

I love being a mother and at home with B so her empire is not what I desire, ok that would be a lie!  I desire to have her childrens clothing in my sons closet, her nail polish on my nails, an antique from her store in my living room (and no it is totally not weird if I kiss it daily), her jewelry draping my wrists but I do not desire to run it.  (someone if you read this and know her tell her product tester right here!!!  really I would be biased though so maybe not the best idea) 

Ok enough bragging about my best friend because it is just not classy.  Seriously I can not be the only person in America that has a fond friendship with someone who does not know they exist,?!?! Oh crap or am I?

(you know I just wrote that last sentence so you all don't think I am crazy, right.  She totally is my best friend.)

1 comment:

  1. OMG I love Tori and my Hubs makes fun of me for watching her show! I think she is a great Mom. I did not watch her much on 90210 but I get it...I relate to TV show stuff alot too...did you see my post about Parenthood?

    ReplyDelete