Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Another Shot

The thing about parenting is you get to have another go at it if you have more than one child.  With B I wanted to do so many things that did not happen. 

 I wanted to breast feed heck I though I was till he was losing weight and after many consultations with an LC and nurses and frankly Dr's it was determined he could not deep suck and I was not producing much.  I wanted to cloth diaper or at least do inserts but my precious baby had one sensitive bootie and penis because he screamed anytime they were on till I took them off.  I was going to do attachment parenting but we just didn't make it out enough to worry about it.  And he slept through the night at 8 weeks so all that drama was avoided.

Cosleeping really never crossed my mind as my husband sleeps so sound I am not sure if it would be our safest option.  Plus I am so intent on knowing what is going on I would probably not sleep at all as I would be counting his breaths etc. 

I did not know about BLW thus it was not an option but I do think it makes a lot of sense looking back.  And I do plan on trying it with #2.

I have friends who had the opportunity to do all these things with their baby and still are doing them and I am sometimes green with envy but other times I am grateful I just rolled with the punches as if I hadn't the challenges would have been that much greater. 

I have learned a ton just moving and being alone with my thoughts and influences.  I realized society plays a huge roll on how and when I gave up on certain tasks with B.  While I do not think he turned out any different with the choices we made I am so grateful to be part of a community now that supports and teaches each other.  This way when I have the issues that will surely arise I will know how to deal with them and maybe with a little less roll over and take it attitude.

Our household is slowly turning into a less toys more imagination.  Less new more vintage, used or just flat out antique.  Worries of baths and bacteria have been replaced with no shoes and splashing in puddles.  We have always done organic but the needs and wants of our whole family has changed.  That's not to say we don't make a run to Checkers every now and then.

I like that my style has changed with B and I love that I am inspired by some new lovely ladies who do things very different than I ever thought I would but actually love.  And mostly I love that they all accept us as we are!  I was nervous to ask opinions or tell my story or even to post my family photo to them but no one batted an eyelash!

With #2 things will be very different as they already are with B.  I am excited for when the day comes that we will announce the baby, how we will approach the pregnancy, the birth, the newborn stage and so on.  I guess in some ways I see it as a do over or another shot but all in all it just means....

They teach us as much as we teach them.

3 comments:

  1. I love this post and as I enter this mother hood stuff with an open mind I have to agree that society plays a huge roll...from MIL to friends to TV and people I don't even know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty excited about baby 2 as well! I think back on all the stuff I was dealing with due to PPD after S's birth and I'm excited to experience that again without that dark cloud hanging over me. But it is amazing how much we learn from our babies, how different we see the world because they're in it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My almost 4 year old has taught me SO MUCH! Isn't it funny how we worry about certain aspects (disinfecting, germs, bacteria, etc.), then as our babies grow into exploring toddlers it's all about the adventures, letting them use their imagination and overall fun!

    I used to go through huge amounts of antibacterial wipes (some would have commented I was a bit obsessed with disinfecting) and now, I think we've had the same Wet Ones container opened for over 6 months! LOL!

    I'm sure you will be much more laid back with baby #2 (or at least that's what all my friends have said when they have their second).

    ReplyDelete