Friday, February 17, 2012

Still Makes Me Smile

Ok so I know I have said over and over I love this town but really I love this place!!  Yesterday I had to go do some paperwork for the sale of our old house and I stopped by to see some of hubby's family.  Let's just say they are some of, ok A LOT, of why we left the area.  It did not go so well.

Some how through the stress of selling our house, a sick father and the drama of his family my voice came back.  For years I have been respectful and reserved and smiley and all nods with them but I just had it.  I was polite but I did voice my opinion and how their actions and words have affected us and OMG I felt so good. 

My own Mom said that was a big NO NO as she tried not to giggle but I was granted a pass as she put it as we have so much going on.  Oh that pass was worth it only I informed her it was not a pass.  It was me!  It was the loud opinionated girl my husband fell in love with.  I was not loud nor rude I was just honest. 

And you know what?  After I was done I got in the car and hauled it back to our town! Our lovely little town.  The town that we will raise our family in and that makes me smile daily.  Oh that drive is usually long and redundant but yesterday it was a breath of fresh air! 

I know that we should not boast about moving away from family but honestly sometimes if you are not blessed with the nicest or most civil of bunch than a little distance does a girl good.

I also stopped at the house we are selling yesterday and the only pause I had was in B's room.  It was crazy to see such an anticipated room empty and stark but the rest of it just seemed so foreign to me.  It was still pretty but it was not home.  It was no longer where I wanted to lay my head and raise my family and that felt so good.

Today through the overcast and occasional rain I still find myself smiling about where we are at and how blessed we are.  I finally have neighbors stopping by with treats and telling us what is happening this weekend and where the local hidden beach is! 

So what if the average age here is 70 when no matter what tries to get me down I am still smiling that we have found our home!

2 comments:

  1. I think that even if you have the best of families, it's still a good idea to not live very close. I know for a fact that if we lived less than an hour away from my family or my in-law's, we would have a lot of problems to work out. Good for you for standing your ground!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We moved away (1000 miles) from our immediate families about 10 years before starting a family of our own. This allowed my husband and I to grow together (we were very young) and not have his family drama interfering constantly. It was the absolute best decision ever. While we miss home and I do miss my parents and family dearly, it is only a plane ride away. Usually after a visit, we always say "there is no place like home" meaning Orlando! Also, I have found we make the most out of the time spent with my family, we cherish our time together and build lasting memories.

    Good for you! Speak your mind girl, be true to who you are. Everything changes once a little one is involved, you do anything and everything to keep them safe and protected. Family drama is exhausting and sometimes too much to deal with.

    Enjoy your new location! I cannot wait to visit!

    ReplyDelete